Slitaz3.0 is released, what's next ?

slitaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Slitaz 3.0 is released, what's next ?

Hi, I just see that 3.0 is released.
A big thanks to all developpers and contributors for all the improvements
you've made since one year !

I'm using Slitaz cooking as main distro since september 2009 and discovered
it when 2.0 was released. I find it's a great tool, specially for thoses
who want to learn more about Linux because it's easy to hack some codes,
learn about configurations files, pack applications and gen distro in
Slitaz. With this release more things are working out of the box or are
simplier. It's extacly what Slitaz needs in my opinion, so newcomers in
Linux can do what they needs without difficulties.

Now I've some question about the future :

How do you organize the development when you release a new stable version ?
I guess that there will be some new issues reports for 3.0. I've understand
that bug fixes, security fixes and improving documentation for 3.0 will be
the immediate objective. Will there new features added in 3.0 or will
stable keep features-freezed ? What kind of features can be added ?

After a little delay I guess that you will create the base for the new
cooking (cook the new kernel, toolchains etc.) before add new features.
Have you an idea of the calendar for that ?

When new cooking will be developped, how do you proceed when you pull a
bugfix wich concern stable and cooking ? I know there's some tools in
mercurial to help about this.

In general : what kind of contributions interest you for the next weeks ?

I see that nobody have transfer the french doc to the new doc.slitaz.org. I
will take some time to do that in few days (I've no time now) and make it
up to date if needed.

I'm always interested by working on an e17 flavor and on a linux-libre
kernel to have a 100% free system with Slitaz. Here's my opinion about that
:

e17 : things are not stable yet, the developpers work hard to release the
alpha version as soon as possible. I've try to pack an justX-with-e17
flavor but there's somme issue so it can be better to wait 4.0 to provide a
stable Slitaz e17. I guess it's better to focus on the core issues for 3.0.
I'm ready to start a project when alpha will be released so we can test the
flavor during cooking development.

linux-libre : It's a feature I really want and I'm ready to work on. The
fact is that it's hard to keep an up-to-date alternative kernel when
there's a lot of change made on the main distro kernel. To have the
possibility of using linux-libre in home-made Slitaz live, receipts
structured in the same way that the main kernel are needed. I guess that
kernel in stable will not be modified after the lasts bugfixes, but adding
linux-libre directly in stable can be a bad idea.
To make things right, a 100% free system need some applications wich are
not in Slitaz right now, like unrar-free, gnash, etc. and some feature like
an option to build 100% free system in tazlito, list packages without
non-free in tazpkg and prevent automatic installation of non-free packages.
Is there a core developper interested by working with me on this ? We can
start the project in few month when the core cooking will be updated. I can
create the recipes for the kernel but I will need help to integrate this
features in Slitaz tools and to cook some apps. The goal is building an
easy to use and full-featured Slitaz 100% libre flavor.

Go Khla Yeh