[Sawfish] Re: plain sawfish as a window manager

On Срд, Авг 22 2012 at 16:03, Snow Bender wrote:

>>> I read about the distinction between viewports and desktops... what
>>> are interesting usages of both viewports and the combination of
>>> viewports and desktops?
>>
>> If you have enough spatial imagination you can get a real 3D desktop,
>> without any fancy cubes.
>
> Heh... I settled for now on 2 desktops, each 3x3 viewports.

attributes to map windows to visible screen areas according to their
applications role in your working process.

Say, desktop 1 for the boring official work and desktop 2 for (another
kind of) fun. So you could place your jabber client window to both 1 and
2 «communications» viewport. And so on.

Also, copying windows to other desktops/viewports may be helpful.

As for myself, I don't use viewports for some time. I replaced them with
plain 3×3 workspace grid:

(setq overriden-pager-vertical-p t)
(setq overriden-num-workspace-rows 3)

By the way, getting rid of viewports doesn't reduce your desktop
dimensions much: 2 + full screen windows + application
tabs/screens/buffers. Mental model seems to be quite complicated.

--
~dd