Re: [Sawfish] Building librep and librep-gtk using dpkg-buildpackage?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:16, Rafal Kolanski <rafalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build debian packages out of librep and librep-gtk, which
> are necessary to get newer debian packages out of sawfish. For the
> record, I downloaded
> http://download.tuxfamily.org/librep/librep-0.92.0.tar.xz
>
> However, I've encountered several problems. First, trying to do:
>
> # dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> despite satisfying all the dependencies, I get this error:
>
> dh clean --with autotools-dev --with autoreconf
> dh: unable to load addon autoreconf: Can't locate
> Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm in @INC
>
> On #sawfish, teratorn kindly pointed out that I can do this:
>
> # sudo apt-get install autoreconf
>
> That error then gets me to:
>
> dpkg-source: error: can't build with source format '3.0 (git)': doesn't
> contain a git repository
>
> So it needs a git repository and insists on it. Ok, let's make one:
>
> # git init; git add *; git ci -m "BLAH"
>
> Now it builds, generating:
>
> librep16_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb librep-dev_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb
>
> OK, to build librep-gtk we need librep-dev installed, so let's try do that:
>
> # sudo dpkg -i librep16_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb
> librep-dev_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb
>
> Another error, this time:
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of librep-dev:
>  librep-dev depends on librep16 (>> 3:0.92.0-1nano); however:
>  Version of librep16 on system is 3:0.92.0-1nano.
> dpkg: error processing librep-dev (--install):

FWIW, I just built Deb packages of librep using the same command
`dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot'.

Also on amd64, and they appear to work. No dependency problems installing them.

This from an up-to-date git checkout, not a source tarball.

Which debian are you on? Can you give a git checkout a try, just to
make sure it works for you?

    -teratorn

> So I can't install librep-dev 0.92.0 because it needs a version of
> librep 0.92.0 that's greater than the one used to build librep-dev?
> That would imply I need one from the future!
>
> I'd appreciate your opinions on this. Debian is still distributing
> ancient versions of Sawfish and librep, and I'd like to run fresher
> versions while still reaping the benefits of using a packaging system.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Rafal Kolanski.
>
> ---
> --