[Sawfish] Building librep and librep-gtk using dpkg-buildpackage?

I'm trying to build debian packages out of librep and librep-gtk, which
are necessary to get newer debian packages out of sawfish. For the
record, I downloaded
http://download.tuxfamily.org/librep/librep-0.92.0.tar.xz

However, I've encountered several problems. First, trying to do:

# dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

despite satisfying all the dependencies, I get this error:

dh clean --with autotools-dev --with autoreconf
dh: unable to load addon autoreconf: Can't locate
Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm in @INC

On #sawfish, teratorn kindly pointed out that I can do this:

# sudo apt-get install autoreconf

That error then gets me to:

dpkg-source: error: can't build with source format '3.0 (git)': doesn't
contain a git repository

So it needs a git repository and insists on it. Ok, let's make one:

# git init; git add *; git ci -m "BLAH"

Now it builds, generating:

librep16_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb librep-dev_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb

OK, to build librep-gtk we need librep-dev installed, so let's try do that:

# sudo dpkg -i librep16_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb
librep-dev_0.92.0-1nano_amd64.deb

Another error, this time:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of librep-dev:
 librep-dev depends on librep16 (>> 3:0.92.0-1nano); however:
  Version of librep16 on system is 3:0.92.0-1nano.
dpkg: error processing librep-dev (--install):

So I can't install librep-dev 0.92.0 because it needs a version of
librep 0.92.0 that's greater than the one used to build librep-dev?
That would imply I need one from the future!

I'd appreciate your opinions on this. Debian is still distributing
ancient versions of Sawfish and librep, and I'd like to run fresher
versions while still reaping the benefits of using a packaging system.

Thank you in advance,

Rafal Kolanski.

---