[nutyx-annonce] NuTyX 20.12.0 available with cards 2.4.123

NuTyX 20.12.0 available with cards 2.4.123

21 months after the release of the first version of NuTyX 11, I am very happy to announce the new version of NuTyX 20.12.0 and cards 2.4.123. The 64-bit version is a complete new project.

The compilation chain is completely rebuilt in addition to glibc 2.32, gcc 10.2.0 and binutils 2.34

The xorg-server graphics server version 1.20.10, the Mesa 3D library in 20.3.0, gtk3 3.24.24 and qt 5.15.2 are also in their latest versions.

The python interpreters are ent 3.9.0 and 2.7.18.

The XFCE desktop environment is updated to version 4.14.3.

The MATE desktop environment is also updated to version 1.24, the latest version available.

The KDE desktop environment is available in Plasma 5.20.4, Framework 5.76.0 and applications in 20.12.0. et les applications en 20.12.0.

Available browsers are: firefox 83.0, chromium 87.0.4280.88, falkon 3.1.0, epiphany 3.38.2, etc

Many desktop applications have been updated as well like thunderbird 78.5.1, Scribus 1.5.6, libreoffice 7.0.3.2, gimp 2.10.22, etc.

Core NuTyX ships with Long Term Support (LTS) kernels: 4.9.248, 4.14.212, 4.19.163, 5.4.83, and 5.10.0 and the latest stable version 5.9.14.

The kernel change logs are available here:

kernel 4.9.248 changelog

kernel 4.14.212 changelog

kernel 4.19.163 changelog

kernel 5.5.83 changelog

kernel 5.9.14 changelog

kernel 5.10 changelog

ISOs are available in BASE, JWM, Openbox, KDE, XFCE, LXDE and MATE.

They are available on the download page.

What's up ?

With the upcoming release of the new NuTyX version, there has been a major development in the init system.

The installer keeps your personal data

Now if you want, you can install the latest NuTyX without having to wipe / format the destination partition. The system folders will simply be replaced and the personal folder (/ home) kept.

Flatpak available

A great effort has been made to allow the proper integration of the universal flatpak packages. This new functionality therefore makes it possible to install many new packages.

New Telegram group

You are welcome to the new Telegram group to discuss the project or ask us for help.

New contributor

Schrodinger72 came to join the team to contribute on NuTyX. His IT experience is very useful.

RuNyX, SysV or systemD as init system

NuTyX now comes with 3 initialization systems put together in 1. So what this means is that the user can choose which initialization they want to use, SysV, SystemD or RuNyX (fork of runit).

This allows a wider choice for the user. The main base init is SysV. This means that the RuNyX and SystemD packages can be dropped if you wish to use SySV only. The Sysinit package must remain installed in all cases. It is used by the 3 init modes.

You have a choice at boot time in the conventional GRUB menu.

Changes in the heart of software.

RuNyX

NuTyX now offers its own RuNyX initialization system. RuNyX is a fork of the Gerrit Pape runit projet. We mainly added the missing components to make this boot system work properly in all situations.

We also decide to use our own directory scheme to be more consistent with the other init systems. See the documentation for more information.

sudo cards install runyx.man
man runit

Busybox

Busybox is part of the core NuTyX system. This makes it possible to reduce the size of a basic NuTyX. The initrd is also considerably reduced.

elogind

At first we wanted to take advantage of systemd and use systemd for the logind daemon, it didn't work. After several tests we were able to get elogind to work and completely replace the obsolete consolekit2 package.

Eudev

The Eudev package is now the eudev part of the systemd project. It works on all 3 inits and on ISOs without problems.

Systemd

Systemd ships with many modules by default. To keep NuTyX running and compatible as much as possible with the current version of NuTyX, some core modules have been disabled:

Upgrade process

Even if NuTyX 20.12.0 is a major release, an upgrade process is possible and as simple as:

sudo cards upgrade

Thanks

Thank you to all my team for the feedback from the tests carried out on this new version.

A special thank you to Spiky for his great patience and attention to detail.

Thanks to Schrodinger72 for joining the team.