[xmoto-dev] [Fwd: Re: xmoto]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi guys,

I don't know if you've checked at the wiki yet, but actually there is no XCode project. Evrything is built in command line. While this is definitely doable, I don't think like it's the best way to go. I'd be willing to create an XCode project, but I'd have to talk it over with the xMoto team first. Essenstially, the point is the following : building using Xcode is "the way to go" on the Mac. For instance, the way xMoto is currently built is pretty much awful : just open up the xMoto.app folder, and you'll find : -> libGL.dylib : 1Mb wasted : OS X obvisouly already have a GL library (/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib)
-> libz : same deal
-> libX11 : OS X already has one, but I don't even think it's needed.

That's already 5Mb wasted.

Moreoever, the MacOS folder has two binaries, while there should only be one.

Yet, on the other hand, building things using XCode would be great, but :

-> There's a problem with dependencies. For instance OS X doesn't ship with libjpeg. What should we do ? The recommended way is to ship a statically linked version of libjpeg along with the sources. That's what I do on my apps, and it works fine. Yet shipping dependencies with your sources might seem awkward. Another solution would be to compile libjpeg et al when buidling xmoto. That's what's done for fooBillard for example. It wors pretty well, but you get to compile a huuuuge bunch of stuff along xMoto.

-> Creating an xcode project files means supporting it for upcoming versions. That's definitely doable, but that's an overhead.

I'd like to get your feelings about all this,

Regards,

 - Romain

PS : oh, and, by the way : how is the moto actually supposed to behave in the game ? I haven't had time to test the Win or the Linux version, but it sounds like the OS X version is buggy. Yet i'm not sure wether this is a feature or a bug : when I press left or right (to tilt the motorbike), there's a small delay befor the motorbike actually turns. Is that normal ?