Re: possible changes for 5.0 ?

ok, pascal was too quick, he already set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y

interesting, how it will behave, but I think it will not change
anything as long as the CPUFreq drivers are not loaded

so, how do we load the CPUFreq drivers

like this would be a possibility

# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=y
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=y
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7_ACPI=y
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=y
CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD=y
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=y
CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2=y
CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN=y
CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL=y
CONFIG_X86_E_POWERSAVER=m

but I do not like it, because at least powernow-K8 can make troubles
with tuned CPUs.

- I would suggest (quite similar to current):

# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7_ACPI=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=m
CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD=m
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=m
CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2=m
CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN=m
CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL=m
CONFIG_X86_E_POWERSAVER=m
and
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m

and to load the CPUFreq drivers with a script (cpuscaling.sh??) as soon
as possible and to have it in rcS.conf so the user can easy disable this
function.

And Richard changed on the same day CONFIG_RT2800USB/PCI_RT53XX=y - so
I think, we should think, if there are other configs to be changed and
do this now....

Thomas