Re: Re: Changes for 4.0-RC2

Unless there is a good reason for doing so, I disagree with disabling NoHz by default.  This was implemented after being brought up on this email list in early March 2009.  NoHz has multiple benefits, including much-improved performance in a VM and lower power consumption.

The last couple paragraphs of this CNET article note some of the benefits of CONFIG_NO_HZ (tickless kernel).
 * http://news.cnet.com/Linux-coders-tackle-power-efficiency/2100-1007_3-6192865.html

Thanks,
Matthew

For some prior discussion--
 * http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/slitaz/2009/03/msg00006.html
 * http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/slitaz/2009/03/msg00014.html

On Sat 02/25/12 3:13 PM , Ikem Krueger ikem.krueger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx sent:
> 2012/2/25 Christophe Lincoln <pankso@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Any other changes you want to see in RC2?
>
> - Christophe

I like to see:

- Enhanced boot menu with "Check media disk". -> md5sum
- Enhanced boot menu with "Check computer memory". -> memdisk
- Enhanced boot menu with localization.
- Enhanced boot menu with an option to change the screen resolution.
- Enhanced boot menu help with the parameter to disable DMA.
- Enhanced boot menu help with username/password for tux/slitaz/root.
- Disable NoHz on default.
- Enable NoHz on laptops dynamically. -> echo "nohz" /proc/cpu?
- Make fastboot a boot option.
- Enable fastboot as default.
- Make use of plymouth/usplash.
- Change username from "tux" to "slitaz".
- Ship Slitaz with a gui tool to change the screen resolution. -> lxrandr

I know it's a lot.

It took me a time to compile the list, sort my thoughts.

Please read thru them.

If you have questions, ask, and I explain.

Ikem

--
My blog: http://linux-workers.posterous.com/