Re: Packages build, news and bugs

Le 21/05/2011 21:05, Christophe Lincoln a écrit :
Cross compilation
-----------------
Great. When tools are built, I will start thinking about porting SliTaz to powerpc
Packages size
-------------
One new thing I also introduce is a compilation flag for GCC wich
optimize packages for size. The option is -Os and we gain on all
packages wich means a lot of megs in the all distro! I dont have all
core packages builded yet, but I hope we will go back under 30Mb with
this new flag.
This makes me feel very uncomfortable. What is the point ? Who needs that ? Is it only for entering Guiness book of records ?

My decision about using or not using SliTaz doesn't depends on a few less Mb, but on

-1- Boot features: both boot speed and boot flexibility ( network )
-2- Execution speed and RAM used
-3- Ease of customization
-4- Fresh kernel 2.6.39

Furthermore, always refering to KISS each time a decision is to be made, makes me also uncomfortable. True life isn't that simple. Simple tools solve only simple problems. Making a computer system simple for the user is a complex task !

Ph.L.