Re: Cookutils development

On Sat 05/07/11 12:22 PM , Christopher Rogers slaxemulator@xxxxxxxxx sent:
Yes. It likes saves 5mb off of python.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Christophe Lincoln <pankso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I added but have a problem.

http://hg.slitaz.org/cookutils/rev/81fad4913719

> These files need to remove inorder to save space and cpu time.
> perllocal.pod for example is in like every perl package with the same
> path. Trying to remove frozen-bubble when you have 4 packages that
> need modifeds took like 5 mins. Anyway this files are safe to be
> removed since archlinux does with each package.

These compiled files exist to speed-up Python programms and they created if not existing so they are not tracked by Tazpkg and not removed if we uninstall a Python package. Are we sure we want that ?

I agree performance and package removal cleanup should be an important consideration. We don't want to have "orphaned" files hanging out there after a package has been removed. On the flip side, if always running off a LiveCD, then there will always be a first-time JIT performance hit. While the reduced size may be nice, the consequences and tradeoffs shouldn't be brushed off without first being given their own due consideration and potential means of mitigation.