Re: The big proposal

Is hosting really a problem?
You can use Sourceforge to host project like Slitaz.

Best regards,
Vadim

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Ben Arnold <benarnold@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi GoKhlaYeh --

I'm a +1 on the libre flavour. While I agree 100% with the intentions,
I can't see the justification when hardware support isn't here yet. We
would be turning users away as the libre doesn't allow for non-free
firmware. I would be included, my netbook requires it for the wi-fi
chip. Until the forum requests on installing non-free drivers/firmware
stop, I wouldn't recommend discarding this portion of users at the gate..

Part of freedom, in my opinion, is choosing whether one has freedom. I
understand completely that the FSF France aren't going to host non-free
software, and rightly so, but I can't see why get-* should be removed.
I see non-free software inclusion as a chance to educate users rather
than force alternatives upon them. They are known for their level of
quality anyways, since it is an additional download and obvious they
are outside SliTaz's control; I've had a couple of binaries that
wouldn't run thanks to some library version mismatches. Without get-*,
bye-bye goes my browser of choice, Opera, it's sync with my mobile
phone browser, and contacting some friends and family on *their* VoIP
system of choice, Skype. I don't think the juice is at all worth the
squeeze on this one.

Cheers,
Ben