TAGS vocabulary standardization (first draft)

Hi all,

As you know, inclusion of TAGS keyword in receipts has been accepted
for version 3.0. Some of us have already started to use "TAGS" in the
receipt. But pkg database is growing, so I feel a standard vocabulary
would make tagging packages easier.

Attached is a first draft for this vocabulary. This vocab list is just
a starting reference point (as a suggested list of tags). Please feel
free to add more tags to the list as you go along tagging different
packages.

In creating this vocab, I have used the idea that the tagging can be
done along multiple "views" or "perspectives". For example, a package
(say mplayer) can be tagged as per tags in its original category
multimedia (tags: video, audio), its use (tags: player, viewer), file
formats supported (tags: mpeg, ogg, mp3, ogg-theora) etc. Each such
"dimension" is a "view" or a "perspective".

So, in pkg receipt, the tags from each view can be concatenated for
creating TAGS string. e.g.
TAGS="video audio player viewer mpeg ogg mp3 ogg-theora".

Currently, I have divided tags along the following views:
1) category : suggested tags for each "CATEGORY" in receipt
2) use : type of usage
3) format: file-types support
4) language: computer language
5) field: pkgs for special fields e.g. biology, astronomy

Some tags e.g. "biology" can have associated or related sub-tags e.g.
"molecular, bioinformatics" etc. To make finding these such tags
easier, I have followed a convention: each line has a major tag
followed by related sub tags  e.g.
"biology bioinformatics molecular structural"
"video compression player recorder editor viewer"
"chat irc messenger im voip"

Similarly, sometimes tags need to be phrases (more than a single word)
rather than a single word. So either you can put them along the same
line, e.g "power management" or use hyphen to cat them e.g.
"power-management".

Please provide your suggestions/ Ideas. Don't worry, there are not too
many tags right now :-). So, finding tags for a pkg should be easier.
I hope good use of tags will enhance pkg search.

Also, we may need a place (url) to upload this list so that pkg
maintainers can refer to it when adding new pkgs.

Thanks

Rohit