Re: [Sawfish] Fedora, Gnome, Weyland and sawfish

This doesn't seem to have made the list.

On 14/04/17 16:22, Stefan Husmann wrote:
Allan Duncan <amd2345@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I have been quite happy with my XFCE/sawfish combo, but I want to take
advantage of the weyland backend, now shipping as part of gnome.

Has anyone succeeded in switching window managers?

For that matter, how do I make the change to gnome anyway, apart from
doing a complete new distro install?

Hello,

what advantages of the wayland backend do you expect? Especially if you
intend to use sawfish under Gnome? I do not think there are any, on the
contrary. You will need the Xwayland layer, which adds one more layer
and will make things slowwer.

I was under the impression that - at some stage - wayland was supposed to make use of any GPU available. I'm a bit vague about where the various blocks of the display system fit together, but thought that wayland talked directly to the backend drivers. Are you implying that Xwayland would precede wayland in the chain, and a window manager would be feeding into Xwayland?

Gnome and XFCE can coexist on your system. There is definitely no need
to einstall the whole system. Just install the relevant Gnome packages.

Yeah, that would be ideal, but working out what those packages might be and then making them automagically fire up is beyond me.

How do yo invoke XFCE? If you are using a display manager, you should be
able to configure it in a way so you can choose the desktop environment
at startup. If you use plain startx, you would need to change the
.xinitrc file each time.

Buggered if I know - I set it up quite some time back using a Fedora XCFE spin, then hacked it to use sawfish.