[Sawfish] Re: The strange unexpected resize

I just had the resize happen again. It was definitely click, release, move mouse that caused the resize; the resize kept going even after the mouse button was released. Of course there's always the possibility of a small move between the click and release, but having the resize happen while the mouse is up is...disconcerting.

Hi, all, again,

I mentioned that I'm having two weird problems with Sawfish 1.11.90. My second problem is that I randomly get into resize mode on some windows. I'm not certain that Sawfish is the culprit in this case.

The symptom is that I will click and drag in the middle of a window (nowhere near the edges or title bar) because I'm trying to do something like selecting text and it will suddenly start resizing along with the drag. Fortunately, I've found that I can hit ESC and the resizing will stop, returning the window to its original size.

I'm not even sure that I'm clicking and dragging, and of course I can't reproduce the problem at the moment. But given my work habits, it's highly likely that in fact I'm clicking and releasing (possibly with a bit of intermediate mouse motion, of course) and then the resize starts following the unclicked mouse.

Anyway, the phenomenon almost always happens when I'm using the Firefox browser, and for a long time I thought it was a Firefox bug. But a couple of days ago it happened (I think) in a non-Firefox window, which is what led me to start wondering if it were Sawfish doing the strange thing.

Unless somebody has a magic solution of "Oh, that's a feature, here's how to turn it off", I think what I'm really looking for is debugging advice. If I could enable some kind of logging, or add code to instrument the resize function, that might well lead me to the root cause. I'm good with Lisp and elisp, so rep isn't scary, but I don't know all the built-in functions.

So if somebody could give me some debugging hints, that would be way cool.

Thanks for listening!
--
Geoff Kuenning geoff@xxxxxxxxxx http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

The P in "PDF" is a lie.