Re: [Sawfish] Race condition in window-order.jl

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 16:51:55 +0200 "Robert 'Bobby' Zenz" <Robert.Zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm the one who reported the "sticky always focused" bug and fuchur was
> so kind to fix it. So I'm all for keeping this behavior intact, though,
> I can live with having to add an additional tag to sticky windows to
> get that behavior back.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  What behavior does "this" in
"keeping this behavior intact" refer to?

> As far as I can see, sticky windows have to be "declared" by the user
> anyway, and as that is most likely happening through a rule it
> shouldn't be a problem

As far as I understand, the old behavior (i.e., without
{record,restore}-focus-most-recent-at-workspace in
{enter,leave}-workspace-hook) makes sense, since sawfish doesn't
implement per-workspace/viewport stacking.

If the "sticky always focused" behavior is not desirable, I think we
should leave up to users the decision on how to work around that issue.
One solution would be setting sticky windows as cycle-skip and
unfocusable (or simply `mark-window-as-dock').  Another solution would
be dynamically determining the most recently focused window (except
sticky) upon entering workspaces.

Unfortunately, the current solution is subject to race conditions,
leading to an annoying problem when move-window-to is involved, and
can't be easily fixed by users, since the problematic procedures in
{enter,leave}-workspace-hook cannot be referenced, as they are not
exported.

Best wishes.
Mario
--