[Sawfish] policy kit problem

After a recent upgrade to fedora 17 I'm having all sorts of permission
problems (nm-applet can't connect, webcam doesn't work only for root,
there is no audio, etc, etc) and after googling around I think I found
the reason: I'm not using a graphical login screen but boot into text
mode, enter my login/passwd in text, then do a 'startx'. In my
..Xclients I have all sorts of stuff ending with 'exec sawfish'.

Now it seems the way I have things set up doesn't integrate with
policy kit which results in my permission problems. So how do you guys
use sawfish stand alone and how do you use policy kit?

Cheers,
Daniel