Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Michal

Thanks much!

i did add the line

xterm &

to the .xinitrc file but no terminal showed up in the window.

The  ~/.xsession-errors file had about 58 lines in it none of which
were obviously sawfish related, though i would bew happy to share it
as i am obviously a newby at this...

The  ~/.xsession-errors.old file was however:

openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
Unbound variable: defvar-setq

Which indicated an inability to connect with the Lisp engine ... smewhere.

The "software Center" did install

rep-gtk 1:0.90.0-2build1
librep9 0.90.2-1.3
sawfish 1:1.5.3-2build1

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:	 Michal Maruska mmaruska@xxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM, greg heil <emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i installed sawfish in xubuntu 1204 with the "software Center" (this
 only has sawfish 1:1.5.3-2build1)

> Then set the .xinitrc as suggested by Robert to:

I'd  suggest (sym)link .xsessionrc to this same script.

> #!/bin/sh
> xscreensaver -no-splash &

And for  troubleshooting I'd add   xterm invocation here.

> sawfish &
 exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

Then I'd look at log file  ~/.xsession-errors.

--

from:	 greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i installed sawfish in xubuntu 1204 with the "software Center" (this
only has sawfish 1:1.5.3-2build1)

Then set the .xinitrc as suggested by Robert to:

#!/bin/sh

xscreensaver -no-splash &
sawfish &
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

i the put the "hello world app suggested by Chris in

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2011-March/msg00039.html

to wit:

(defvar-setq top-left-corner-function
(lambda () (display-message "hello world")))

But when i chose sawfish in my logon i got just a background pic ...
no key combo did anything and the "hello world" app did not perform.

Not even Alt-F1 worked. i had to do a power cycle to get the machines
attention back.

Suggestions?

greg
~krsnadas.org