Re: [proaudio] made with ProAudio overlay - "demonstrate"

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:29:35 PM CDT Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> ahoy all,
>
>    i would appreciate any comments: technical, creative, positive,
> negative, whatever! thanks sincerely in advance for taking the time to
> read/listen, and please share the suite if you think someone might dig it.

I'm quite impressed. You clearly put a lot of effort into this.

technical stuff:

- A lot of the elements are very up-front in the mix. It makes the dynamic
range sound a bit too crushed and too many things are competing for attention.
It's need more "space" and "depth". Perhaps when mastering try to apply
dynamic compression in mix groups and less so to the final mix as a whole. If
you're not already using it, multiband compression also helps a lot in
maintaining dynamic range while still imparting that cohesiveness to the mix
you get with compression.

- Spatially, many elements are either way too much in the center, or panned
too hard. It needs more of a finer nuance in the spatial spectrum. You'll find
this will help provide separation to elements as well so that they are not
getting lost in each other. Something I've found besides panning that works
well (as long as the source is already stereo) is to send to another bus, use
a mid-side stereo plugin to cut out all the center info so you have just the
side content, and then mix that back in to double up the the unique stereo
content only. Varying the level that it is mixed back in acts to streach out
the spatial image to whatever level you want, but is very different in
character than panning. It works well with sources or mixes that are stereo,
but not very wide and need more spatial separation.

- Lots of the content is very lush, but the drum kit sounds very thin. Now
some of that may be due to artistic decisions, or limitations of recording
resources, but I would try to get more presence and tone out of the kit.

- Bass line needs more meat on the low end. Some of it is just that the bass
line is an octive too high, but even then it also needs harmonics added to
give it more body. Trying using the Bass Enhancer from the Calf plugins.

creative:

- You should look into the leslie simulator Robin Gareus made for setbfree.
(http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-whirl) It might pair well with with some of
the synth instruments you are using.

Very nice stuff, I really like track 8.

-Reuben