Re: [proaudio] gsampler: needs packaging

Le Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:09:24 +0600,
Zlobin Nikita <nick87720z@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hello.
> I recently (yesterday) faced this frontend for linuxsampler, which is
> claimed to be jsampler rewriting. Unlike jsampler, however, it
> doesn't support orchestras, which are not even LS feature, and are
> thus exclusive for JS. It uses gtk and in one review claimed
> supporting both gtk3 and 2, but current last version (0.3) seems to
> be last supporting both, because there is relatively recent (just
> several commits ago) commit, removing gtk2 support.
>
> Build system is autoconf.
> Choosing gtk version is done by just specifying GTK_LIBS and
> GTK_CFLAGS env variables for configure (using pkg-config of
> course).

Hi,
I take a look into your ebuild. It is another way to do that in
portage. See the toolchain eclass:
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-reference/toolchain-funcs.eclass/index.html

Also, you KEYWORD="" is wrong. Such a keyword is valid only when it is
impossible to test the resulting software, as example with live ebuilds
using cvs or git to download the code, code that can change at any time.
In the overlay, most of the non live ebuilds use "~amd64 ~x86".
That also make an easy way for an user to choose between a live ebuild
or an ebuild that use an archive.

> And one drawback: version 0.3 doesn't build with gcc 4.7, because
> linker gets flag -Wl, which is now valied only for compiler only. In
> gcc 4.6 there is no problem. To minimize efforts for self i just
> built it with own versions of CC, CXX and CPP. Not sure, could it be
> reason, but version, build with GTK3 did not show gui, though it did
> not freeze and respond to interruption signal (C^c in terminal).

As it doesn't show anything with gtk2, I didn't see any point to
install a gtk3 version when the gtk2 version is working.

Also, your ebuild install the doc files in both /usr/share/doc/$P
and /usr/doc/$PN. This second location should not exist.

Last, when I start gsampler, it show me a message like what is was
compiled without sqlite3 support. This need an USE flag and the
associated depend. And maybe some fix because sqlite-3.8.0 is
installed into my system.

So next question. gsampler is almost 2 years old, and the last commit
into its repo is from July 2012. We already have jsampler which work
and have orchestras support. The only issue with it are 1) it's in java
and its GUI is slow, 2) it pollute like hell my log file if I don't
redirect its output to /dev/null.

So, is it worth to make an ebuild for gsampler, and if yes, would it
not be better to use the code from its repo which is more recent than
the last release?

Best,
Dominique