Re: [proaudio] ~x86: media-libs/portaudio-19_pre20111121-r1 wants to downgrade jack

2013/7/31 Xavier Miller <xavier.miller@xxxxxxxxx>:
> hello,
>
> The new portaudio ebuild in the main tree wants
> jack-audio-connection-kit with multilib attributes
>
> I have a ~x86 config, so no multilib, and this forces to downgrade jack
> to a version 1 in portage. No problem with the ~amd64 config.
>
> $ emerge -pv portaudio

> Calculating dependencies       ... done!
> [ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/realtime-base-0.1  0 kB
> [ebuild     UD ]
> media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.121.3-r1::gentoo
> [1.9.9.5-r1::proaudio] USE="alsa mmx%* pam%* sse%* -3dnow% (-altivec)
> (-coreaudio) -cpudetection% -debug -doc -examples% -oss% (-dbus%*)
> (-freebob%) (-ieee1394%) (-mixed%)"
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="(-python2_7%*)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-python2_7%*)"
> 1,059 kB
> [ebuild     U  ] media-libs/portaudio-19_pre20111121-r1
> [19_pre20111121] USE="alsa cxx jack -debug -oss -static-libs" 0 kB
>
> Total: 3 packages (1 upgrade, 1 downgrade, 1 new), Size of downloads:
> 1,059 kB
>

> Where is the problem : in the jack ebuild or in the portaudio ebuild?
>
> Kind regards,
> Xavier Miller.

Hi Xavier!

This problem is known and I am working to fix it. There is nothing
wrong with neither of the ebuilds, both are working perfectly fine,
just not together. ;)

Here is the situation:
media-libs/portaudio from portage needs a multilib compatible
media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit (which currently only exists in
the main tree).
Therefore, media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit in the overlay needs
to be migrated to multilib eclasses and we cannot fully do this until
_all_ the link dependencies to our jack are satisfied, which won't
happen too soon.

I will commit crippled (not fully working) multilib compatible ebuilds
to the overlay tonight, but these will have the following flaws:
1. They might not have dbus support.
2. They cannot have firewire support.
1 is because there is no multilib compatible dbus, this flaw can be
dirtily worked around by pulling in emul-linux-x86-baselibs on amd64.
2 is because there is not multilib compatible libffado yet. More
dependencies of libffado need to be satisfied before it can be
properly migrated. The worst dependency to deal with here is the
dev-libs/dbus-c++ ebuild which depends on dev-libs/glib (gentoo bug
#479282), dev-libs/ecore and sys-apps/dbus. I will probably report a
bug to the gentoo bugtracker about dbus-c++.
Due to these restrictions and the fact that they will be rather
experimental they will be committed under package.mask.

As long as you don't need dbus or libffado here you can use the
upcoming revisions of the jack ebuilds. If you don't want to migrate
to multilib ebuilds just yet, you can always mask the new version of
portaudio.

Oh, and another thing: Freebob support will be nuked from the multilib
jack ebuilds. Freebob is old, unmaintained and does not compile
properly so multilib'ing it is a waste of time.

Regards,
Karl