Re: [proaudio] VST SDK link

Le Sun, 2 Oct 2011 00:24:18 +0300,
Alexandros Diamantidis <adia@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> The download message in media-libs/vst-sdk/vst-sdk-2.3-r3.ebuild
> states:
>
>         einfo "Please go to ${HOMEPAGE}"
>         einfo " or http://www.steinberg.de/532+M52087573ab0.html";
>         einfo "- Look for a link called: VST Plug-Ins SDK.."
>         einfo "- Download the VST-SDK for version ${PV}"
> [...]
>         einfo "If above Homepage no longer provide ${A}"
>         einfo "You can try to search for ${A} with e.g. google"
>
> That link doesn't work (404 error). The homepage links to
> www.steinberg.net, so I registered there and looked for vstsdk2.3.zip
> but it seems that old version isn't available any more. Finally, I
> found it using the second option. So, perhaps that link should be
> amended or deleted to save people from looking there?

I don't think so because for a non registered steinberg user, this link
is more informative. And it link to the steinberg page among other.

> Is a link
> directly to the download directory problematic for legal reasons? The
> user does need to agree to the licence during installation, so people
> won't install it unaware of the implications...
>
> http://ygrabit.steinberg.de/~ygrabit/public_html/vstsdk/Download/VST%20Plug-Ins%20SDK%202.3/

I agree, the SRC_URI in the ebuild must be modified to point to that
link.

Also, be aware that the registration process of steinberg is a
calamity. Something went wrong and I cannot login. If I try to register
again, it fail because it find that my email address is already
registered. If I want it to send me a new pass or my account user name,
it fail because it doesn't find any registered user with my email. And I
cannot send email to them because I cannot login...

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."