[proaudio] Jack Audio Connection Kit

I rebuilt my gentoo system over the last weekend and most things are
working okay... but..  my standard use case is that i normally have
the pc setup for listening to music/youtube etc via pulseaudio and
then would like to start qjackctl when I want to fool around with my
guitar or keyboard.  Previously I had a setup where qjackctl would run
pulseaudio -k on startup and then restart pulse on stop, but now jack
is supposed to play nice with pulse.  Except that it doesnt seem to
work on my computer.  I installed Jack 1.9.2 from the pro-audio
overlay with dbus enabled.  When I go to start up jack, it cannot
acquire the card and dies.  Looking at the pulse logs, it doesnt show
that anything is happening at all.  Has anyone seen this?  I noticed
that there is 1.9.3 jack out now, is there an ebuild for this yet
(otherwise i will try to get one working when i get home tonight).  I
figure I should try this before I give up and turn off pulseaudio
autospawn and go back to the old system.

Thanks for any help.

Matt