Re: [proaudio] Re: Supercollider build issue?

This sort of thing is why I'd like to see a distro along the lines of
a conversation the Linux had on the LKML - A 64-bit kernel with 32-bit
apps. No chroot or anything like that. 32-bit apps can run under a
64-bit kernel. The 64-bit kernel gives you access to more memory,
probably better virtualization because the 64-bit processors have more
stuff built in to do that, and no reason to change the app at all for
64-bit.

Linux and others say it works but so far no one - distro packagers or
individuals - seems interested in doing it for the masses. One
Gentoo-ish conversation.

http://www.pubbs.net/gentoo/200906/252/

Anyway, one day maybe this sort of audio-app problem won't be.

- Mark

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Arve Barsnes<arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I tried compiling this a while back, and I came to the conclusion that
> they just didn't support 64bit, and I got the impression that it had
> been in the pipeline for years, but requiring a total rewrite of the
> whole system, it is still not being worked on at all. I might be wrong
> on that, but it was hard to find much information.
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You should do some checking first. I think this has been discussed
>> many, many, many times. You're not the first to have a problem in this
>> area. you should check the archives before asking for something
>> they've already made up their minds on.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Retrievil
>> Knievil<retrievil.knievil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. I'll try to post the issue upstream and see what reply
>>> they give. If there is something they are working on, I'd rather wait than
>>> spend a lot of time to get it to work.

>>> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -o Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.os -c
>>> -Wno-deprecated -Wno-unknown-pragmas -O3 -ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -msse
>>> -mfpmath=sse -fPIC -DSC_DATA_DIR=\"/usr/share/SuperCollider\" -D_REENTRANT
>>> -DSC_LINUX -DNDEBUG -DSC_MEMORY_ALIGNMENT=16 -DUSE_SC_TERMINAL_CLIENT=1
>>> -DSC_AUDIO_API=SC_AUDIO_API_JACK -DSC_JACK_USE_DLL=False
>>> -DSC_JACK_DEBUG_DLL=False -DLIBSNDFILE_1018 -DHAVE_ALSA -IHeaders/common
>>> -IHeaders/plugin_interface -IHeaders/lang -IHeaders/server
>>> -ISource/lang/LangSource/Bison -I/usr/include/alsa
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'int
>>> blockValue(VMGlobals*, int)':
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp:873: error: cast from 'unsigned
>>> char*' to 'int' loses precision
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'int
>>> blockValueWithKeys(VMGlobals*, int, int)':
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp:1008: error: cast from 'unsigned
>>> char*' to 'int' loses precision
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'int
>>> blockValueEnvir(VMGlobals*, int)':
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp:1169: error: cast from 'unsigned
>>> char*' to 'int' loses precision
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'int
>>> blockValueEnvirWithKeys(VMGlobals*, int, int)':
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp:1318: error: cast from 'unsigned
>>> char*' to 'int' loses precision
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'void
>>> MakeDebugFrame(VMGlobals*, PyrFrame*, PyrSlot*)':
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp:2058: error: cast from
>>> 'PyrMethod*' to 'int' loses precision
>>> Source/lang/LangPrimSource/PyrPrimitive.cpp: In function 'void
>>> switchToThread(VMGlobals*, PyrThread*, int, int*)':