[proaudio] Hydrogen SVN SCons failure

When building =media-sound/hydrogen-9999, I get almost instant failure
with this message:

scons: Reading SConscript files...

scons: warning: the Options class is deprecated; use the Variables
class instead.
File "/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/hydrogen-9999/work/hydrogen-9999/Sconstruct",
line 316, in <module>
Checking for C header file sndfile.h... no
libsndfile must be installed!

I have the latest ~amd64 libsndfile installed, and sndfile.h is in
/usr/include. I know this sounds like an upstream issue, but I was
wondering if anyone has a workaround?  (Likewise, I have latest ~amd64
scons.)