Re: [proaudio] MAKEOPTS and multicore processor

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Dominique Michel wrote:

I experimented complete system freeze merging hugin. I have a 4 core phenom and
followed the advice into the handbook by setting

MAKEOPTS="-j5"

When the system was hanging, around or less than 1G ram was in use and the
processor use for the 4 cores was 100%.

I try with

MAKEOPTS="-j2" emerge hugin

and it worked just fine.

Is it just to go with MAKEOPTS="-j2" in make.conf ?

Maybe your ram is flaky? At least those two or three
times I have bought bad ram chips (I've worked as
a system manager), I noticed it during compilation.