[proaudio] ImportError: No module named layman.config

I did some updates last week, did an emerge -DuN system, check that
the system was working and the promptly split town for a couple of
days off. When I returned I tried to update tonight but layman is
failing:

lightning ~ # layman -s pro-audio
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/layman", line 23, in <module>
    from   layman.config            import Config
ImportError: No module named layman.config
lightning ~ #

Does anyone recognize what might be causing this?

I have not yet blown away the old config and tried reinstalling layman
and the proaudio overlay. I can do that but I figured maybe it was
good to ask about this first just to get straight what has happened.

Thanks,
Mark