[proaudio] portage want to remove old kernel sources and old external kernel modules

I noticed problems with the way portage is working with the kernel sources
and external modules.

1) "emerge --depclean" want to remove all the old kernel sources an keep only
the most recent version

2) "emerge alsa-driver" or "emerge nvidia" want to remove the old version, even
when it is the same version but compiled for another kernel.

From the gentoo forum
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-610943-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
1) can be solved by adding something like

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.18-r6
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.19-r5
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.20-r8

into /var/lib/portage/world

2) I don't find any solution with portage. The only way seam to make some
backup of the files, emerge the package, and re-install the old one from the
backup. The main problem I can see with this is in case of major upgrade (gcc
or glibc upgrade). Who know how the version from the old backup will work?

So, a question and a remark:

- Is it some other solutions for those 2 issues?

- Maybe that we must warn about this portage behaviour into the wiki.

Cheers,

Dominique Michel

Mes 3 projets préférés auxquels je contribue:
 * FVWM-Crystal, le bureau basé sur FVWM:
      http://fvwm-crystal.org
 * AlsaPlayer, le lecteur audio avec contrôle de vitesse en continu:
      www.alsaplayer.org
 * L'overlay pour la MAO sous gentoo:
      http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page