Re: [proaudio] rt-sources-2.6.23 - problem or not?

Le Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:58:25 -0700,
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On 10/15/07, Harald Gutmann <harald.gutmann@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2007 15:33:24 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > > Is the NOT EXIT message below indicating a problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mark

> > >  * Messages for package sys-kernel/rt-sources-2.6.23-r1:
> > >
> > >  * [not exist]
> > > /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio/sys-kernel/rt-sources/files/kconfig-exp
> > >ose_vmsplit_option.patch * As of 2.6.13 the support for devfs has been
> > > removed.
> > >  * You will be required to either manage a static /dev
> > >  * or to ensure that udev is starting on boot.
> > >  * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
> > > lightning ~ #
> >
> > should not be a problem, but you have to use a static /dev or a udev.
> > in these times, udev is quite the standard for managin /dev.
> > if you still use devfs, then it won't work, otherwise it should be no
> > problem at all.
> >
> > regards, harald
>
> Thanks. I've been udev for a few years now. I haven't seen this
> message in previous rt-sources builds. Good to know it's nothing
> important.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I use udev from more as one year without problem. I also use ivman for
automounting of the removable medias. One thing you must pay attention are
external drives like usb drive. Ivman doesn't need fstab entries, but in that
case, hard disks will not be checked when booting. They also will not be
correctly unmounted at shutdown. A regular fstab entry correct this.

I could not wait for the ebuild because it have been a lot of work done on the
ACPI system. It is 3 days ago that I am running 2.6.23-rt1 without problem. It
is the first time that I am able to run a rt kernel with my asus motherboard
with APIC and ACPI enabled and that it doesn't crash randomly. I am crossing the
fingers.

I will try the ebuild in a few days if all goes well.

Thanks,