Re: [proaudio] alsa-driver is being axed

On Di, 17.07.07 13:01 Francisco Oltra <foltra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2007-06-28 04:56:22 -0700 Richard Connon
> <richard.connon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Should we start including this ebuild in the overlay so we can
> > still use
> > the latest driver versions?
> >

> what's the current state with this issue?
> not many people happy with the mantainer's attitude:
> http://polynomial-c.homelinux.net/pub/gentoo/documentation/alsa-driver.html

Ah, so that dude called polynomial-c continues maintaining it?
Cool, problem solved :)

Sorry, but such rants like in the link you posted are just plain stupid.

I do not know any distribution that provides alsa-driver as a seperate
package, not even tashaki iwai does that for SuSE, a main ALSA dev
working for the distro that "invented" ALSA.
And yes a lot of of people have problems with in-kernel ALSA just..
being too old for their oh so brand new laptops featuring totally
new crappy intel HDA implementations that start working in current ALSA
CVS and are not included in yesterdays kernel realease yet :P

Of course it's a great thing to have latest ALSA drivers available also
on 2.6, but IIRC that package is meant for 2.4, so can you imagine
that it is REALLY hard to maintain it for newer 2.6 kernels?

Further reading which describes both sides:
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/search?q=alsa-driver

My 2 cents.
Cheers.

PS: having all that said, that does not mean that i do not totally agree
with people saying that ALSA should be broken out of the kernel and
provided seperately. OSS4 is opensourced now and way more userfriendly
IMHO.