[proaudio] FATAL: Error inserting realtime module

I'm following the directions on the wiki for the RT kernel at:
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel

and I'm at the point of modprobe'ing the realtime module:
# modprobe realtime gid=18

But, I receive this error:

FATAL: Error inserting realtime
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4/extra/realtime.ko): Invalid module format--

I've seen some messages after googling that the module might be compiled
with a different version of the compiler, but I compiled the kernel and
then the module seconds later. Does anyone know what this is and how to
fix it?

thanks,
brad

--