Re: [phpmygpx] A couple of questions/ideas

Hi Craig,

thanks for sharing your ideas and offering help.

Am 10.03.2013 15:55, schrieb Craig Zeigler:

> 1. How hard would it be to deal with trackpoint extentions. Example
> being my Garming Edge 500 cycling computer records heart rate and
> cadence, and I would like to include that data in this tracking software.
>
> I am wondering if this can be done by simply adding a couple new fields
> to the gpx_import table? Thoughts?

It should be not to hard to implement. Basically the import, the
plotting of the chart and data base table have to be enhanced.
In 2011 there already was a feature request [1], but as it was the only
one for all the time, I focused on other issues.

> 2. I am attempting to add photos to a ride, however the camera is set
> not to record location (GPS coordinates). Will it break anything if I
> change the latitude and longitude fields in the pois table to allow nulls?

I don't think so. However, importing photos without location wont work
yet. But you could bypass the import and fill the pois table manually ;-)

> For future (hopefully) releases, would is be prudent to give users the
> option of using the exact location? If your camera records the GPS
> location, that would be idea, but some of us turn that feature off, and
> it would be nice to simply attach photos to an event.

It might be an option to import photos without locations. At the moment
it's possible to use the coordinates found in a GPX file (chosen during
import) if no location is present in EXIF header of the photo.

> I am getting a handle on the database structure, and will be opening the
> code shortly, but wanted to confer with others before making changes.

That's fine. But you may have noticed that this is a very low traffic
list. So don't expect a great deal of discussion...

> Would it be easiest to post any code/DB changes here for other to
> evaluate? If I change things, and an upgrade comes out I wouldn't want
> to damage my data, nor stop myself from upgrading.

Your contribution is highly appreciated. Patches are welcome. Best
practice is to attach them to feature requests or bug reports in the
issue tracker [2]. I try to evaluate and merge as soon as soon as
possible. You can find the very latest development snapshots here: [3]

Regards,
Sebastian

[1]
<http://phpmygpx.tuxfamily.org/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=72&project=1&pagenum=1>