Re: [non-daw] non-sequencer questions/criticisms/feedback

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM, James Morris <james@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/07/12 "J. Liles" <male@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM, James Morris <james@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> hello,
>>
>> having trouble using non-sequencer.. can only get it to do 3
>> things:
>>
>> 1) nothing
>> 2) play a single pattern repeatedly
>> 3) play a single pattern repeatedly while muted.
>>
>> How do I add more patterns?
>>

>'c' key adds a new pattern or phrase.
>

>> How do I shorten a pattern once I've accidentally increased it's
>> length?
>>

>'t' key crops pattern/phrase length to final note.
>

>> Same with phrases, I can only add an existing phrase.
>>
>> Is the pattern view meant to scroll horizontally - are there meant to
>> be scrollbars along the bottom of the pattern view?
>>

>It does scroll (arrow keys and mouse wheel). No, there are not any
>scroll bars.
>

>> the arrows on the spin buttons are inverted - top bottom
>> points down and bottom points up.
>>

>Yeah. That's an NTK bug. Will fix eventually.
>

>> the spin button beside the pattern name in the pattern editor does
>> nothing.
>>

>It will once you've added some new patterns.
>

>> the arrows beneath the pattern view take a long time to understand
>> what they're meant to be indicating - i've worked out i'm viewing
>> the highest pitched notes before i notice the up-arrow has gone.
>> they're the last place i look - but maybe they're more useful for
>> keyboard users than habitual mouse-wheel scrollers.
>>

>Yeah, those indicators are kind of broken, ATM.
>

>> pattern view updating is not quite right - i have to
>> mouse-right-click before it will update... but... that suggests
>> right-mouse-click switches view but it does not.
>>

>Known bug of view not updating when switching between patterns with
>identical grid dimensions... Already on my epic TODO list ;-)
>
>Note that in order to make use of Phrases, you have to change the
>playback mode to 'Sequence' and lay out your phrases on the Sequence
>tab... Don't forget to hit the rewind button on the transport to start
>playback at the beginning of the sequence.

Thanks for your reply.

Is the help not functional or do I need something additional installed
for that?

You just need a webbrowser and to have used 'make install' to install non-sequencer (and it's help files)

How do you feel about having some of these things added as actions to
the edit menu? Or a new-pattern button added beside the pattern
(perhaps a button with a '+' on it)?

Oh, they should definitely be in a menu, preferably configurable too. That's also something on my TODO list. I came up with some better techniques for managing keybindings in non-daw which have yet to make their way into non-sequencer.

I could be tempted to send a patch or two your way but I need to look
at the code first and see how well I can follow it before making any
promises.

Have at it! I would suggest also taking a look at how the keybindings/context menus are handled in non-daw if you're serious about it.