Re: [libregraphics-resources] Website pour the copyleft image test suite project

On 02/12/2015 06:52 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Awesome, I'll wait for the test images and any fix to the text.

Any news on this? :-)

Sorry for the delay! Feast or famine - what follows is probably too much for one email, but here goes:

My understanding about the project is that it will be a general resource for creative purposes. So a major goal is to assemble a collection of images and other resources (eg ICC profiles) that can be released with free software and can be used by artists without their having to seek out explicit permission from the creator, yes?

It might make sense to organize the resources by some combination of typical usage (eg testing raw processing algorithms, printer behavior, profile conversions, etc), type of image (eg synthetic vs photographic), and of course non-image resources such as ICC profiles. There would necessarily be overlap between various ways of organizing the resources, meaning many images will fall into more than one category.

There are many excellent test images available online, that are copyright-encumbered, which nonetheless would be nice for free/libre artists to know about. So a list of links, organized right along with the corresponding free/libre resources, would seem to be a good thing to include on the website.

A nice resource to include on the website would be links to collections of public domain and possibly also CC images. Given that such websites already exist, the images on our website need to be focussed specifically on suitable test images plus whatever other type of resource we decide to include. Otherwise the website could quickly be overwhelmed with too many images with no particular focus.

I think initially it might make sense to start with a one-page website, organized into sections, until we reach a good sense and consensus of how to best organize what will eventually be a diverse and growing set of resources. At some point the one page will probably need to be converted to a table of contents with links to the resources.

To get started, here are some links to excellent resources, more or less organized by type/purpose. Most of the links are to copyright-encumbered images, which fact should be prominently noted on our website so people don't get confused:

1. Collections of images released under public domain, etc
http://www.getty.edu/about/opencontent.html

2. Raw files for testing raw processors and interpolation algorithms
The dng files on http://www.libraw.org/articles/bayer-moire.html

3. Synthetic images for various purposes
http://brucelindbloom.com/index.html?RGB16Million.html
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ReferenceImages.html
http://brucelindbloom.com/ click on "Info"
http://brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ProfileEvaluation.html. These files are in the CIELAB color space and they cover the full range of real colors. I'd like to put together something that's more user-friendly, that's been converted to a suitably large RGB working space.

4. Testing scaling algorithms
http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html
http://www.imagemagick.org/download/image-bank/16bit840x840images/README

5. Testing openexr processing
http://openexr.com/downloads.html

6. Testing monitors
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_sensitivity.html
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php

7. Testing printers
http://www.pixl.dk/download/
http://www.hutchcolor.com/Images_and_targets.html
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html
http://www.normankoren.com/printer_calibration.html
http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/pdi_download/

Thoughts on soliciting and reviewing submitted material:

We probably need to set up a process for soliciting, reviewing, and accepting/rejecting submitted material, including website links. It seems to me that submitted material should be accompanied by a clear statement of what makes the material suitable for inclusion on our website of free/libre resources. So we probably need to formulate a clear statement of what kinds of resources we are looking for.

Also, as has been noted, the pxil.dk image does have a nude torso, which is probably one of the best possible subjects for checking tonal renditions in a print. But of course that might raise issues with some people. So at least a warning for such links and images would be appropriate.

It seems to me that there are some procedural issues that need to be worked out regarding submitting and reviewing materials. As this email is long enough already, I'll send a separate message on the topic.

Elle, hoping above is helpful to get the conversation started.