[kad-general] It has been an exercise...

Hello all,

It's great that Martin makes advances. It is trully a quite significant change from Qt3 to Qt4, I had a glimpse of it while trying to make the code compile. In my opinion the guys at Trolltech had cleaned their code and refined the classes structure which is a good thing. I guess I'll stop here with the porting and let Martin point me where I could help. These days I've been looking at the SVG standard. In a mail to Martin I told him of my idea to add equation objects to KAD by means of MathML and the idea of exporting the drawings+equations to a new format based on SVG+MathML. He was wondering of how would we make cad drawings fit into SVG. I started wondering too. While SVG drawings can be done in many ways (the format is quite flexible) it still lacks some features like parameters for the basic shapes and something that would be an exact equivalent to dxf layers. Another thing I came upon was a demonstration of text capabilities of Autocad 2008. In their demonstration they showed how they copied text from Word and pasted it in Autocad 2008 while it keeped the formating. I guess Autodesk extended dxf format to support these new features. So my near future research will be their new dxf format. On the other hand I was wondering if we (I) could do it in XML and by means of XSLT to generate SVG+MathML content. My wishes might be a little off track, but it is one of my dreams to have one day a complete environment for scientific drawing (that would include circuit diagrams, system level diagrams, graphs, geometrical figures (even 3D), function graphs, and whatever else a scientist (and thereby an engineer too) comes across). Choosing a file format will keep me busy in the near future...

Best wishes,
       Arcadie