Re: [hatari-users] Question regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG

Title: Re: [hatari-users] Question regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG

Dear Eero,

What you wrote back is probably useful for those in the know, like Robert maybe, but, sorry to say, I don't understand most of it. So, jumping to the first place I somehow could relate to, I went and downloaded Qsynth 0.3.6, which is about the same age as this MacOS, launched it and got this:

17:59:36.096 Qsynth1: Creating synthesizer engine...
17:59:36.115 Qsynth1: Creating audio driver (jack)...
17:59:36.126 Qsynth1: Failed to create the audio driver (jack). Cannot continue without it.
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver jack. Valid drivers are: coreaudio, file.
17:59:53.144 Qsynth1: Destroying synthesizer engine....
17:59:53.145 Qsynth1: Synthesizer engine terminated.

I don't have no idea what this means, never heard of a "jack" in relation to my Mac besides the physical ones I plug into the computer.

But even assuming that I could get any further, I don't understand this part of your following instructions either:

> * Select "synth input port" from the SDL GUI MIDI output selection

- tried to look up SDL in Wikipedia, and met a bunch of entries that could or could not mean anything in this context.

For the rest, of what I do understand:

> Hatari defaults for ST.

As I wrote in my first post I haven't had an ST for over two decades, so I wouldn't know what those defaults are and how to set them in Hatari.

> EmuTOS v0.9.12 release.

Assuming it's the same as the “emutos-512k-0.9.12” -> "etos512k.img" I downloaded, I also have not a clue as to what

> Hatari is naturally built from latest Git commit

which you wrote afterwards actually means.

Still hoping...

Michel

From: Eero Tamminen
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 01:00:41 +0200

Hi,

I tried something else than Mandala with PortMidi
(Sequencer One), and that didn't work properly
with it.  PortMidi complained about invalid MIDI
event data at Sequencer program startup, after
which PortMidi connection is closed and nothing
else will go through...

Please run Hatari with "--trace midi" option and
check whether it complains about write errors.
And if yes, what error number is reported by
PortMidi write error before that?

 - Eero

On 1/29/20 11:47 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> [...]
>> setup, could you please tell me what your settings are under F12, CPU
>> options?
>
> Hatari defaults for ST.
>

>> And which TOS.img you are using?
>
> EmuTOS v0.9.12 release.
>

> Hatari is naturally built from latest Git commit.
>

> Normally I'm using raw MIDI device connection,
> not PortMidi.  This is for several reasons:
> * I test also other stuff with MIDI interface
>    (networking & debug output) than MIDI events[1]
> * If the configured PortMidi device isn't present,
>    PortMidi causes thread deadlock with libSDL
>    audio thread when Hatari exits (on Linux)
> * raw MIDI device can be toggled on & off at
>    any time
>
> [1] PortMidi deals only with MIDI events, not raw bytes.
>

> But I tested now also Hatari build with PortMidi
> support:
> * Start Qsynth [2]
> * Start Hatari with MIDI enabled
> * Select "synth input port" from
>    the SDL GUI MIDI output selection
> * Save Hatari configuration
> * Restart Hatari with Mandala
> * Start Mandala playing
>
> => Mandala uploads the instrument selection to
>     Qsynth through MIDI and MIDI playback sounds
>     fine with PortMidi too.
>

>      - Eero
>
> [2] Version 0.5 from my Linux distro.  Qsynth
> seems to be available also for Mac from here:
> https://qsynth.sourceforge.io/qsynth-downloads.html
>
>> From: Robert Aries
>> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 12:21:14 -0500
>> To: <hatari-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users]
>> Question
>> regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG
>>
>> I’m following this thread with some interest as I’ve always had a wish to
>> run my old Atari midi sequencer software (Dr T KCS/Level II) on my
>> Mac. It’s
>> just not happening. Hatari sees the hardware midi interface I have
>> connected
>> to my Mac’s USB port (MOTU Fastlane) but no midi reaches the
>> sequencer, and
>> midi notes manually entered do not output from the interface.
>>
>> I tried about a year ago with details in this thread:
>> http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=35184
>>
>> At that time I was using the Mac’s built-in IAC (inter-applications midi
>> bus) for input & output, with the same results. I got my hopes up this
>> time
>> because my MOTU interface was seen by Hatari, but no joy.
>>

>>> On Jan 27, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Michel Tavir <tingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Question
>>> regarding
>>> Hatari and MANDALA.PRG
>>>
>>> Hello again Eero,
>>>
>>> Here is as far as I have managed.
>>>
>>> I found in the Utilities installed by the Mac OS (9 years ago!) an
>>> application
>>> called Audio MIDI Setup. It opened several windows:
>>>
>>> 1. Audio Devices - Built-in Output, set to Headphones as "Source" (?)
>>> 2. Midi Studio, where I select "IAC Driver" from a default configuration