Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Question regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG

Title: Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Question regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG

Thank you, Eero, that clears up things. I will try to figure out what there is of MIDI software for Macs of that generation (OS 10.6 Snow Leopard). In the meanwhile if anyone else on this list knows about such software, I'll be happy to hear about it.

Michel

From: Eero Tamminen
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 00:17:24 +0200
To: <hatari-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Re: [hatari-users] Question regarding Hatari and MANDALA.PRG

Hi,

On 1/24/20 1:17 PM, Michel Tavir wrote:

>> I have managed to install Hatari on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow
>> Leopard, and for now I can live with the few bugs I came across. I did get
>> MANDALA running ‹ the graphics part at least, because for some reason I
>> cannot get any sound at all. Yet pressing keys does result in a click sound,
>> so it's not like this installation of Hatari isn't sound-capable (as was the
>> case, as far as I could understand, with MagicMacX, which I tried some years
>> ago).

Mandala sound output is through MIDI and it seems
to work fine.

You need a MIDI device and configure Hatari to
use it.

I don't have Mac, but like Linux, it might have
some software MIDI synthetizers which you can use
if you don't have real MIDI HW.

Note: Hatari PortMidi code enumerates MIDI devices
at startup, so your MIDI device needs to powered &
connected when Hatari starts, otherwise your
device doesn't show up in Hatari's devices dialog.

 - Eero

PS. Hatari has supported MIDI on Linux since
v0.45, but we got MacOS & Windows MIDI support
(with PortMidi) only for Hatari v2.1 release.

(Hatari devs don't Have Mac or Linux, so support
for those platforms is through 3rd party code
contributions, this includes the MacOS Hatari
GUI.)