Re: [hatari-users] Window resizing

Am Sun, 20 Dec 2015 13:11:05 +0200

> On 12/10/2015 07:28 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> >
> > FYI, I've recently added resizable window support to the SDL2 code
> > in Hatari, so if you enable the SDL2 support when compiling, you
> > finally can resize the window to any size now.
>
> It works fine and is really nice!
>
> I just wonder about one thing... Changing emulated Atari display
> size, like toggling borders, will reset Hatari window resize/zoom
> back to 1:1.
>
> It's kind of nice, because I want _some_ way to reset
> the window zoom factor, but other users may expect things
> to work differently instead, either:
>
> 1. Hatari window *size* to remaining the same and content
>     rescaled to that, or
> 2. Hatari window *zoom factor* remaining same and window size
>     being adapted for the new content (smaller if borders get
>     disabled, larger if they get enabled)

Yes, that might be an issue ... however, I'm also not sure how to deal
with that best, so I think we should simply wait for the next release
and see how the users react.

> I also wonder whether the max zoom size settings in Hatari still
> make sense.  They could still be used as limit on window resize
> (currently it isn't with SDL2), but I think with free zoom, their
> purpose has mostly disappeared.

I think it currently still makes sense to have a knob to control the
size of the borders and the pre-zooming in software that still takes
place. We might want to rework this one day (so it's easier to use for
example) - but then we should get rid of the SDL1 support first, since
the code is very interweaved with that. So I'd rather postpone this to
a way later point in time.

 Thomas