Re: [hatari-devel] Screenshots in NEO format

On Tuesday, 2 January 2024 at 19:15, J.Young <jyoung8299@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/2/24 13:02, Andreas Grabher wrote:

> > > that would be extremely difficult for hatari when you consider all the possible overscan modes. re-interpreting the RAM content would be complicated, while the job is already done in screen.c, hence why hatari grab screenshot from the emulated screen, not from the RAM.
> > >
> > > Nicolas
> >
> > I see! So this is quite different from the NeXT. Isn‘t there some intermediate buffer that contains the interpreted data before being handed to the SDL renderer?
>
> Hmm, interesting, Steem has been able to do this forever. Maybe it can
> be added just for low/med/high standard modes?
>
> Atm, I have to check the video base address, savebin the screen data,
> savebin the palette then run go on the host and run a bash script to
> assemble the header and tack on the screen data. Very time consuming.
> The sort of thing that programs are very good at doing fast :).
>
> I am working on a game launcher and being able to get screenshots for
> new conversions/adaptations is a big part of the ongoing use of it.

Hello,

another way is to set Hatari to 320x200 display without statusbar, take a regular png screenshot.
Now if you use Linux install Imagemagick. If Windows first install WSL2 then Imagemagick. For macOS first install Homebrew or Macports followed by Imagemagick.

Then you can easily make an ST-image with "convert pic.png pic.pi1", and batch convert easily. If the picture contain no more than 16 colours there won't be dithering etc applied. PI1 shouldn't be an issue to display in your program as it's more or less the same as a NEOchrome file, just palette and bitmap on different offsets (+2 and +34).

Good luck :)