Re: [hatari-devel] Enhanced keymap support

On 10.9.2023 9.32, Thomas Huth wrote:
since you already started looking into improving the keymap code, could you
please have a look at this patch series?

It's basically my patch series, with rebase & further improvements done by Yves.

Yves has been maintaining it as it supports things that he needs, that are not supported by current Hatari keyboard handling [1].

However... This whole thing is my rewrite based on ideas in Vincent Barilliot's patch (because he's version wasn't backwards compatible), and while it offers useful additional functionality [1], I'm not convinced it's the right approach, because:

1) Like Vincent's version, it changes keys to be indexed internally by SDL keycode, instead of Atari keycode, and it was triggering occasionally some asserts I had added (that are not in Yves series).

2) I'd rather have things working right out of the box, rather than users needing (make or install) extra keyboard config files.

Eventually I started thinking that improving symbolic keymapping to match Atari side keyboard layout, would be better alternative for solving issues with Hatari's current keyboard support.

However, that thing had taken so long to get working well enough, that I'd burned out of it. So I'm pretty happy that Brad is looking into symbolic keymappings now.

	- Eero

[1] multi-key mappings and Alt-XXX support

Am Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:34:07 +0200