Re: [hatari-devel] Enhanced keymap support

On 7.12.2021 17.46, Yves Le Berre wrote:
Thank you very much.

I am not a developer, but I was interested having a french PC keyboard
giving the right ST key for any key entered on the PC.

I had created a keymap configuration for the patch from Vincent Barrilliot
and noticed that the key for 'à' , 'ù' and '§' could not be obtained
because the XXX sequence of ALT-XXX ST scancodes contained same X
scancode two times and Keymap_KeyDown function called IKBD_PressSTKey only if
Keyboard.KeyStates[STScanCode] was false.

My patches "inherited" SDL scancode indexing from Vincent's patch, but do not have this issue because they handle ALT-XXX differently.

I'm still not fully convinced that adding extra SDL scancode indexing (in addition to earlier ST scancode one) is the right thing to do though.

Extracted from test config for Vincent patch

# à 0 @
27|KMOD_CAPS|KMOD_CAPS,0b
27|KMOD_RALT|KMOD_RALT,LSHIFT|03
27|KMOD_LSHIFT|KMOD_LSHIFT,70
27|KMOD_RSHIFT|KMOD_RSHIFT,70
27,ALTERNATE|6d|6f|6f

# ù %
34|KMOD_CAPS|KMOD_CAPS,LSHIFT|06
34|KMOD_LSHIFT|KMOD_LSHIFT,LSHIFT|06
34|KMOD_RSHIFT|KMOD_RSHIFT,LSHIFT|06
34,ALTERNATE|6d|6b|6d

# ! §
38|KMOD_CAPS|KMOD_CAPS,ALTERNATE|6e|6e|6d
38|KMOD_LSHIFT|KMOD_LSHIFT,ALTERNATE|6e|6e|6d
38|KMOD_RSHIFT|KMOD_RSHIFT,ALTERNATE|6e|6e|6d
38,LSHIFT|02

Note that you need to:
* add "0x" in front of all these hex values
* remove the |KMOD_* masks
* Remove KMOD_ prefixes from modifier names

(Make a copy of your file first.)

And this:
> 27|KMOD_LSHIFT|KMOD_LSHIFT,70
> 27|KMOD_RSHIFT|KMOD_RSHIFT,70

Can be done just with this:
27|SHIFT, 70

'à'              : ALTERNATE|6d|6f|6f : Alt-133 using num keypad

With my code, this would look like:
à, ALT_XXX|133

'ù'              : ALTERNATE|6d|6b|6d : Alt-151 using num keypad > '§' (shift !) : ALTERNATE|6e|6e|6d : Alt-221 using num keypad

NOTE: if you use scancode mapping and French TOS, you do not need keymap file for these. You already get these letters from '0', '6' keys and the key that's beside Enter. See the French Atari keyboard layout shown here:
	http://tho-otto.de/keyboards/

I just tested that under Hatari with French TOS v1.04 on ST, and with 1024k EmuTOS version with NVRAM keyboard layout set to French [1] on TT emulation, and it worked fine...

	- Eero

[1] hatari --language fr --layout fr ...

All the other keys (with or without modifiers) could be obtained.

I will compile hatari with latest patches and test it with a configuration
corresponding to the new specification.

Yves