Re: [hatari-devel] VME access

Attached is new patch.

On 1/3/21 3:16 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
On 03/01/2021 12.24, Eero Tamminen wrote:
On 1/3/21 12:33 PM, Thorsten Otto wrote:
On Sonntag, 3. Januar 2021 10:02:19 CET Thomas Huth wrote:
  Couldn't you please try to come
up with enough VME emulation instead to fix Linux on the TT?

Thomas, it's about interrupt handling and based on
comments seems to e.g. redirect FDC interrupts:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git/tree/arch/m68k/atari/config.c#n394
VME interrupts are set here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git/tree/arch/m68k/atari/ataints.c
And up to 16 VME interrupts are supported:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git/tree/arch/m68k/include/asm/atariints.h#n24

I could add some pre-liminary code to setup
suitable SCU mask etc variables when corresponding
regs are written...

But I'm unfamiliar how the whole Hatari interrupt
handling works, and with need to reroute existing
interrupts to go through SCU that's something
I'll leave to you or Nicolas.

At least I also don't have any clue about SCU interrupts either, so it's learning by doing - if you never try, you'll never get into it :-)

Well, there's pretty little documentation about that. I've found some notes from "Atari TT030
Hardware Reference Manual", but I think one
should really understand interrupt handling
for it to be enough (which I don't).

Weirdly, TOS v2 & v3 seem to crash unless SCU general purpose reg has value (1) on boot,
although docs say that SCU regs are cleared
on boot.

"--vme <x>", where <x> is:
   "none" - VME reg access causes errors
   "dummy" - what's currently done, errors disabled

And in future:
   "empty" -- VME interrupts working, no VME card
   "net" -- VME network card emulation

Thomas, does that sound any better?

Ok, yes, still not my favorite solution, but looks certainly a little bit nicer, so I guess I could live with it. I'd maybe also omit the config file saving/loading as long as there is no entry for this in the GUI yet (otherwise people might end up with a wrong setting in their config file at one point in time and then wonder why things are not working anymore as expected when they later run without the --vme parameter).

Attached patch does this and adds dummy functions
for all the regs with new VME trace output.