|Re: [hatari-devel] Shalll we remove deprecated features like SDL 1.2 now?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] Shalll we remove deprecated features like SDL 1.2 now?
- From: Bob Carpenter <hatari@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 08:36:04 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ripon89-us.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=b7Z35qsRpSb+8yHAW3MPbcsqgnNZp0j/rDEXBzRCLJ8=; b=lTvwAjB6jCLfQbbBjR288ETszLBcqys1Cb02zBv/ShGtZkcR7oRwH0wGzY9Ihr6a/w Eq8WIOEObaUK/dvHo6XTKkCgF4TRrX360pd1cV5SDSLOpN4lP9X7n/YoTmtYm37oA9cV ajtgr+MkYOZigmwytj6ctk/LVAOs6+vv7+7Z4EJLphd8QUEM4zH7ajEE7ETspcPZAek0 29La5n/piDmITA22Q3okN+D9Pd0d8k9Sfaw4Q13vxzALaNk88uZzv4WanB9sphZxcEZR 07WQB1C1heht8+OOmEWqPJ0xBAaARppV/bKdXeIzaw3vzjxcBersJ6nLW+vXTRyqBhE8 LgYA==
As a macOS user, I have no objection to removing SDL 1.2 support. I found SDL 1.2 far buggier when I had to use it for Hatari. As previously mentioned, SDL 2 is the only actively maintained version.
Ever since the WinUAE core became the default, I have not gone back to the old core. For a typical user, I do not see a reason to maintain the old core.
Right now, I am more interested in whether Troed is able to generate a Universal binary for Hatari. When I complied it, I received a strange error when attempting to run it on my new M1 MacBook Air.
In case you receive any bug reports, there appears to be a bug in Rosetta 2 (Intel translation layer) that causes gamepads and joysticks to be seen but not usable. It appears to be at the SDL layer. The only emulator that works for me on the M1 is a C64 emulator (VirtualC64) that was built for the Mac only and uses the latest frameworks (and does not use SDL).
as these items were discussed, I'm still OK for removing both pieces of
Maybe the lack of SDL2 on some systems (Raspberry or derivatives ?)
could be a problem, but at one point we can't have hatari evolve and
take less time to maintain with 2 SDL versions.
SDL2 on Raspberry Pi 2 and above is not a problem. It's better than 1.2. On both 32bit and 64bit systems.
Sent from my iPhone