Re: [hatari-devel] Suggested patch to fix problem handling STOP when DSP is active

On 29 Oct 2020 at 22:41, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:

> But doing it on a 100 cycles basis is not really fully accurate, so I
> did the attached patch where DSP_Run is called on each loop during the
> STOP state (at the interval where MFP is updated too).
>
> Please check if it improves sound in your case (maybe it will require
> more CPU than your patch on every 100 cycles)

OK, I've tested it.  At my normal settings (16MHz system), I can't really tell
any difference between your patch and mine.  Neither is perfect.  The audio
runs a little slow, and there are lots of artifacts, although the main tune is
quite distinct (which it isn't with the unpatched system).

However, if I change to an 8MHz 68030 clock, the sound improves for both
patches - but the sound with my patch is noticeably better.  I think that this
shows that my system is just not fast enough: although reducing the speed of
the emulated 68030 allows more time for everything else to run properly, it's
not quite enough for the extra requirements of the DSP.  Calling Dsp_Run() less
often then makes just enough difference to be noticeable, and is more
beneficial than an increased accuracy of emulation.

I don't think you should pay too much attention to how my system runs.  It's an
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ which has a CPU Mark score of 332.  My Windoze system
(which is by no means new) is an AMD Phenom II X4 955 with a score of 2430 ...

Thanks for all your help!

Roger