Re: [hatari-devel] Filename mangling with GEMDOS emulations

Le 16/05/2020 à 15:17, Thomas Huth a écrit :
Am Sat, 16 May 2020 12:37:16 +0200
schrieb Thorsten Otto <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

There seems to be some problem with hatari filename mangling:

The same directory, on the host:

~/atari/freemint.org/a $ ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 sebilla users 4096 16. Mai 12:31 libcmini
drwxr-xr-x 2 sebilla users 4096 16. Mai 12:31 libcmini-examples

That is, the 2nd (too long) directory name is simply truncated, and
there is no way to access it in the desktop.

Sure, GEMDOS HD emulation only supports the old 8+3 filenames, so if
you want to use it, you have to make sure that your files on the host
fit into that scheme.

Hi

under linux "mtools" are dealing with this by putting ~2 or ~3 or ~n to similar filenames once they are truncated if you copy a long filename from linux to a dos floppy.

In the above case, this means that under Hatari the host dir would be displayed like this :

"libcmini"  -> for libcmini directory
"libcmi~2" -> for libcmini-examples which is truncated to libcmini and would collide with the "real" libcmini directory.

I don't know if that's something we want to support, this would add some complexity to gemdos hd emulation (each host filename would need to be associated to a "normalized" 8+3 filename that would be unique to the ST filesystem)