Re: [hatari-devel] fixing errors reported by GCC 10 -fanalyzer

Le 11/05/2020 à 14:56, Thomas Huth a écrit :

I think I'm with Eero here and rather would prefer to keep such
assert()s that check for logical errors (i.e. things that "should never
happen"). But we should really check for asserts that are used for
"normal" error handling, i.e. the where we use it for checking the
return value of malloc() and friends.

Ok ; but how to we handle the fact that assert are disabled at compile time in release mode (or with whatever flags a linux distro might supersedes the flags from hatari) ?

This means assert() will only be visible for developers or those building in debug mode, but when Hatari is compiled for mac/windows/linux distro the assert are no more there and we know that many errors are reported by users, not by people doing the dev. These people will mostly get a crash sooner or later due to memory corruption and there will be no message to tell us what happened.