[hatari-devel] FPU tester update request

It has been more than 1 year now..

> Here is an updated version of the FPU tester (diagnostic version). I'll
> release an update to the original testing tool once this has settled.

Hi

I found some more undocumented FPU behaviors (already implemented by
Andreas in softfloat emulation) that are not found by FPU tester:

---

68040 FCMP: returns also N-bit set if either parameter is NaN with sign
bit set. 6888x and 68060 never return N + NAN flags set simultaneously.
Currently FCMP test returns error if CPU is 68040 which is fine for me,
at least this confirms FCMP difference.

--

Monadic instruction, infinity as input value with high mantissa bit set
and instruction also returning infinity (because input was infinity):

Valid infinity bit patterns are:

7FFF 00000000 00000000 or 7FFF 80000000 00000000 (+inf)
FFFF 00000000 00000000 or FFFF 80000000 00000000 (-inf)

6888x and 68040: returned infinity value is same as input value,
mantissa high bit is not cleared.

68060: returned infinity mantissa is always zero.

FPU internally generated infinity has always zero mantissa.

--

6888x and 68040 dyadic instruction that returns infinity when either (or
both) input values are infinity:

Fxxx a, b: if a is infinity: returned infinity equals a (including
mantissa high bit). if only b is infinity: returned infinity mantissa
high bit is always cleared.

68040 only "inverted" special case: FADD a,b and FSUB a,b: if a is
infinity but b isn't: zero mantissa returned. if b is infinity: b is
returned as is (with possibility for mantissa high bit being set)

--

Above infinity weird cases are not detected by tester. Not that no
program most likely cares but it would be interesting to know if these