Re: [hatari-devel] VDI resolution limits

On Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 16:00:46 CEST Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Latest Hatari version where 1024x768 VDI mode works with TOS v1.04
> is v0.90, and it doesn't anymore work in v1.0.

Wow, that is really old. Many thanks for tracking that down.

> I'll add a small buffer after VDI screen to avoid this, and
>  remove the VDI screen size limits with old TOS versions.

Does that also mean that the 300k limit can be lifted? it is still there.

>Any idea why these mouse related reads happen only with VDI mode,

When not using VDI mode, Hatari (and also TOS) uses a screen buffer size of
0x8000 bytes. Since the actual screen size then in all resolutions is only
32000 bytes, that already includes a gap of 768 bytes.

>and only when mouse moves *horizontally* in this area?

I would bet that the vertical limit is restricted to not exceed the screen
height, but in the horizontal direction you may need to read an additional
word, and the logic only masks the values out if it is out of screen bounds,
but the read is still performed.