Re: [hatari-devel] VDI resolution limits

On Sonntag, 29. April 2018 23:18:02 CEST Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Crashes when you move mouse to bottom right corner.

Cannot reproduce that. And i don't use --grab or fullscreen. If there are
really cases where that crashes, then i would guess because VDI and/or blitter
are trying to access memory beyond the end of video memory, and that you need
some gap there before end of physical memory (or ROM). But that still does not
have anything to do with the alignment of the screen width. It's also not
clear why (aside from the required memory) a screen width of 1280 is valid in
monochrome, but not in color modes. And it also does not explain the rather
random limit of 300k for video memory.

>Do you have somebody who's willing to go through few hundred most
>common GEM applications,

That's imho not necessary. Just the hint that extended VDI modes may work or
not, and that it is up to the user to try it out, will be good enough.

>User's don't typically read manuals...

Yes, but that also applies to games. You already expect them to look at the
compatibility list when something goes wrong.

But don't get me wrong. It would be just a nice feature to be able to use
higher resolutions. If you think that it would too much hassle, then i have to
live with the current limits.