Re: [hatari-devel] Show FPS in statusbar?

Le 04/01/2018 à 08:45, Christer Solskogen a écrit :
Could that be added, please. Or somewhere else, but it looks to me that there's is enough space to have it there.

Hi,

it depends on what you call FPS ; if that's just displaying refresh rate, it's already there at the bottom of the screen.

But if that's trying to estimate how many different frames are really drawn by second, then it's not that trivial. Some parts of the screen can be updated at 50 Hz (for example a text scroller in the bottom of the screen) while rest of the screen is updated at 25 FPS (for example a 3D object). Then, we need to take the lowest value of the whole screen to estimate the FPS. Doing so could require to analyze the whole screen on every frame, which could slow down emulation a lot ; or pick for example 10 random spots on the screen (think like how auto focus work in digital camera) and do some stats.

It's something I already thought some months ago, I'm planning to add it later once a new release is made.