[hatari-devel] Re: Suspicious profiler output

I'm CCing this to hatari-devel as info may be useful also for others
using profiler.

On 09/18/2017 04:54 AM, Miro Kropáček wrote:
An update: I have managed to make the graphs a bit more sensible -- I
didn't realise that -Wl,--tradional-format cuts symbol names after some
length! But strangely, both problems persist.

But I have noticed that in "executed instructions" and "used cycles" graphs
the numbers are correct -- all three functions are marked as 300x executed.
But "visit/calls" have the numbers different (display screen: 600x even
though its successor is 300x and atari800 frame: 600000x even though its
successors are 300x again...)

Maybe I'm just not understanding the notation?

It may be clearer if you add "-t" option to the profile generation
and start from the ASCII output:

Visits/calls:
  10.60%              183040             set16_2
  10.56%              182362             set256
  10.01%  14.51%      172899    250553   _CPU_GO
   8.75%              151198             copy256
   5.84%              100797             copy256_d
   5.41%  10.81%       93362    186708   _POKEY_Scanline
   5.41%   5.41%       93351     93351   _INPUT_Scanline
   0.02%   0.02%         300       300   _PLATFORM_Keyboard
   0.02%   0.02%         300       300   _rplanes
   0.02%   0.03%         300       600   _PLATFORM_DisplayScree
   0.02%                 300             _null_consol_sound
   0.02%   0.02%         299       299   _GTIA_Frame
   0.02%   0.02%         299       299   _PBI_BB_Frame
   0.02%   0.02%         299       299   _Devices_Frame
   0.02%   0.02%         299       299   _VOTRAXSND_Frame
   0.02%  36.16%         299    624542   _Atari800_Frame

I.e. calls to _Atari800_Frame() symbol address are 0.02% of all symbols
called within the profiling run, and profiler heuristics were able to
track 36% of all the calls to be originating under _Atari800_Frame().

On 17 September 2017 at 22:02, Miro Kropáček <miro.kropacek@xxxxxxxxx>